Nebulized Vancomycin for Sinus MRSA
Steven L.
2007-11-28 00:37:03 UTC
Sinus MRSA: What to do when Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus Infects
Your Patient

MRSA the "Superbug" is in the news and is more prevalent than ever
before. MRSA can also invade the sinuses and cause tough sinus
infections, which are difficult to treat. This article discuses
treatment options for patients with serious MRSA staph infections in the
sinuses and offers solutions to physicians for erradicating these organisms.

Camarillo, CA (PRWEB) November 27, 2007 --- MRSA is in the news now more
than ever. The media coined term "Super-bug" may over sensationalize
this organism. Nevertheless, resistant Staph infections are serious, and
if left untreated, may lead to serious medical complications.

ASL Pharmacy's Sinus Science™ (http://www.sinusscience.com) program has
two aerosolized medication formulas effective against MRSA sinus
infections: Vancomycin and Mupirocin.

Vancomycin: is a bactericidal antibiotic, which acts by hindering cell
wall synthesis and by blocking glycopeptide polymerization. Its spectrum
of activity includes many Gram + organisms, including those resistant to
other antibiotics. Vancomycin is active against MRSA, Staphylococcus
Epidermis and Penicillin Resistant Streptococcal Pneumonia. Tinnitus is
not commonly associated with ASL's aerosolized topical application.

Vancomycin Dose: 160mg/3ml Tx time: 5-6 min. approx.

Mupirocin: is a novel antibiotic, which is completely unrelated in
chemical structure and mode of action to any other clinically useful
class of antibiotics. Mupirocin has the greatest antibacterial activity
against aerobic Gram + cocci, such as S. aureus, S. epidermidis,
Streptococcus pyogenes and other beta-hemolytic streptococci. Mupirocin
is active against most MRSA infections; however, resistance has
developed in some areas.

Mupirocin Dose: 3.3mg/2ml Tx time: 4-5 min. approx.

Patient Acceptance: ASL's aerosolized Mupirocin formula is well
tolerated by patients as the medication is prepared using a mixture of
sterile water and sterile 0.9% NaCl. The ASL preparation does not
contain polyethylene glycol (PEG) an ingredient in the topical ointment.
(Bactroban®)

The MRSA sinus patient with family members should take extra precaution
to wash their hands regularly and cover their mouth and nose when
coughing or sneezing to reduce the possibility of infecting others
nearby. Family members, likewise, should implement these preventative
measures.

Physicians: please call our Sinus Science™ program for further
information on how these two important medication therapies treat MRSA
inside the sinuses: 866-552-7579. You may fax prescriptions directly to:
866-442-7579.

Aerosol Science Laboratories Inc. is a privately held firm, which
specializes in the treatment of Chronic Sinusitis, Perennial Allergic
Rhinitis, Allergic Fungal Sinusitis and Sinus Polyps. What makes ASL
unique is that they dispense medications that are aerosolized and
inhaled through the nasal passages for better medication deposition into
the sinuses. For more information contact Cal Tarrant at ASL Pharmacy:
866-552-7579 x223.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/mrsa/staph/prweb572171.htm

[
Well, folks, now that this has hit the market I figure that
vancomycin-resistant sinus infections are just around the corner. Three
more years, tops.
]
--
Steven L.
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
judy.n
2007-11-28 12:27:51 UTC
There was an article about hospitals in ?Sweden, eradicating MRSA, and
they used a topical chlorhexidine gel. That would be a good idea,
instead of inducing more resistance.
Once, in despiration, I did put chlorhexidine, in the form of
periodex, in my neti, and due to the alcohol content, it was
intolerable.
Judy
ASL Pharmacy's Sinus Science(tm) (http://www.sinusscience.com) program has
[...]
(Bactroban(R))
The MRSA sinus patient with family members should take extra precaution
to wash their hands regularly and cover their mouth and nose when
coughing or sneezing to reduce the possibility of infecting others
nearby. Family members, likewise, should implement these preventative
measures.
Physicians: please call our Sinus Science(tm) program for further
Steven L.
2007-11-28 14:33:26 UTC
Post by judy.n
There was an article about hospitals in ?Sweden, eradicating MRSA, and
they used a topical chlorhexidine gel. That would be a good idea,
instead of inducing more resistance.
Chlorhexidine is anti-fungal as well as anti-bacterial. If the Mayo
Clinic theory of Allergic Fungal Sinusitis (AFS) is correct, then
chlorhexidine might well help.

Cetylpyridinium chloride (CC), found in such OTC mouthwashes as Scope,
is also effective on fungi. But as you say, you can't irrigate your
sinuses with mouthwash because of its alcohol content. If you could
find a mouthwash with CC and without alcohol, it might be worth a try as
an irrigation solution.
--
Steven L.
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Michael
2007-11-29 18:14:24 UTC
Post by Steven L.
Post by judy.n
There was an article about hospitals in ?Sweden, eradicating MRSA, and
they used a topical chlorhexidine gel. That would be a good idea,
instead of inducing more resistance.
Chlorhexidine is anti-fungal as well as anti-bacterial. If the Mayo
Clinic theory of Allergic Fungal Sinusitis (AFS) is correct, then
chlorhexidine might well help.
Cetylpyridinium chloride (CC), found in such OTC mouthwashes as Scope,
is also effective on fungi. But as you say, you can't irrigate your
sinuses with mouthwash because of its alcohol content. If you could
find a mouthwash with CC and without alcohol, it might be worth a try as
an irrigation solution.
--
Steven L.
Has anyone any experience with nebulized anti-biotics?

Having tried almost everything else are these in any sense more
effective than their oral counterparts, doesn't the continuous thick
layer of slime prevent their reaching to the lining of the sinus
cavities?

Michael
Susan
2007-11-29 18:22:50 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Michael
Has anyone any experience with nebulized anti-biotics?
Having tried almost everything else are these in any sense more
effective than their oral counterparts, doesn't the continuous thick
layer of slime prevent their reaching to the lining of the sinus
cavities?
A poster named Lauren some time back did; she said it destroyed her
pulmonary function, IIRC.

Susan
Michael
2007-11-29 23:00:06 UTC
Post by Susan
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Michael
Has anyone any experience with nebulized anti-biotics?
Having tried almost everything else are these in any sense more
effective than their oral counterparts, doesn't the continuous thick
layer of slime prevent their reaching to the lining of the sinus
cavities?
A poster named Lauren some time back did; she said it destroyed her
pulmonary function, IIRC.
Susan
Thanks Susan,
Perhaps my use of the 'search' function is inadequate however the only
'nebulizing' Lauren I could find was using Amphotericin-B at full
strength (possibly inadvertently, see posts of March 18/19 2006).
However I also came across some helpful posts in Jan 2002 on anti-
biotic use.

Michael
)
Susan
2007-11-29 23:08:09 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Michael
Thanks Susan,
Perhaps my use of the 'search' function is inadequate however the only
'nebulizing' Lauren I could find was using Amphotericin-B at full
strength (possibly inadvertently, see posts of March 18/19 2006).
However I also came across some helpful posts in Jan 2002 on anti-
biotic use.
Unless the effects of a new application method have been studies, you
take a chance that something not formulated for inhalation can have
unintended consequences.

I guess I'd like to see less selling and more data, but hey, maybe
that's just me. :-)

Susan